Quick and flavourful Chili Con Carne Meatballs with Lemony Bulgur Wheat
Fantastically delicious and easy and quick. Another score from Jamie Oliver’s show 15 minute meals. (http://jamieoliver.com)
For bulgur wheat:
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 preserved lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 400 grams ground beef
- 3 grilled red peppers jarred
- 4 spring onions
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 700 grams tomato passata
- 1 bunch coriander fresh
- 1 tin (400g) red kidney beans
- 1 pinch cumin seeds
- 4 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- several grilled chillies for hotness
- Put 1 mug of bulgur wheat, 2 mugs of boiling water, the preserved lemon and the cinnamon stick into the enamel cast-iron pan and cover. Don’t forget to stir it occasionally.
- Scrunch the mince with salt and pepper. Divide the mixture into 4, then with wet hands quickly shape each piece into 4 balls, placing them into the frying pan as you roll them. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and toss regularly.
- Blitz the peppers, half the trimmed spring onions, the paprika, passata, half the coriander and a pinch of salt and pepper in the liquidizer until smooth. Pour the mixture into another frying pan and turn the heat up to high.
- At that point you can also char grill some chillies.
- Rinse and drain the beans, then add to the meatballs with the cumin seeds. Transfer the meatballs straight into the pan of sauce leaving the beans behind.
- Finely slice the remaining trimmed spring onions. Stir the beans into the sauce.
- Remove the cinnamon stick, then mash the lemon into the bulgur wheat and serve with the meatball sauce over it. Add some yogurt, the charred chillies and wedges of lime, scattered with the remaining spring onions and coriander leaves.
Oh. My. Word. Loved it! I don’t know why I chose a 30C day to cook this, but you know what – it actually worked – even in the heat! It was just while I cooked it that I had to run outside into my herb garden every now and then to cool down!
Another hit from my current obsession with Jamie Oliver’s recipes.