Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Oh. My. Word. This is delectable! Why have I never made or had this before?
- 2.5kg pork shoulder (I used what was on sale at Pak ‘n Save, which was a pork roast middle or something)
- 3 tablespoons raw brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Mix 1 tbsp of the sugar with the salt and spices and rub all over the pork.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and brown meat on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Remove meat and set aside.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the pan drippings and whisk through. Transfer to a large pot (or slow cooker), add vinegar, rest of the sugar and tomato paste and whisk with another 2 cups of water.
- Put pork into pot, cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Pull pork apart with two forks.
- Reduce sauce to half and mix one cup into the pork.
Recipe originally posted by Food Network
Not really an everyday meal (for me at least), but I can see why this is such a popular dish in the good ol’ U.S of A.