Lemon Sponge Cake
Simple? Sure, but also just … heavenly! Deliciously moist, light and tasty. A quick and easy, but super awesome cake.
- 3/4 cup Castor Sugar
- 125g Soft Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- Lemon Zest from 1 Lemon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 3 Eggs
- Beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy
- Add flower, baking powder and baking soda and mix through.
- Add Lemon Zest, Vanilla Essence and 3 Eggs and beat until combined
- Spoon into a cake pan (lightly greased and floured) and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 35-40 minutes.
- While the cake cools, combine the juice of your zested lemon with 1/4 cup sugar and drizzle all over the still warm cake.
This cake was so light and yummy and moist (no frosting required). I was really amazed that I’ve not made it before, but I can see that it is going to become a definite favourite at our table.
…and all of that from the back of a kid’s book! “A great cake – by Tina Matthews, Walker Books”