Homemade Crusty Loaf with Roasted Vegetables
Way back when we used to have this on shop bought Ciabatta, and everytime I want to make it, it is too late to start the biri for my own Ciabatta (I’ll get to it one day!), so for now we eat it on my trusted quick and easy crusty loaf.
- 1 Loaf of bread – use Ciabatta or Crusty Olive Oil Loaf
- 1 Eggplant, sliced
- 1 Zucchini, sliced
- 2 Bell Peppers, quartered
- 1 Fresh Tomato, sliced
- 2 Tbsp Sundried Tomato, sliced
- 1 Tbsp Olives, pitted and sliced
- Mozzarella Cheese, grated
- Some Creamy Style Feta to taste
- 1 Avocado
- Herbs, Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Line a baking dish with foil and brush liberally with olive oil (eggplant sucks up a lot of oil!), lay sliced eggplant on the oil, season with salt and pepper and some chopped fresh herbs and garlic.
- Line a separate baking dish with foil and add the sliced baby marrow and bell peppers, drizzle with oil and season with salt.
- Bake veggies in a preheated oven at 180C, turning once, until they start to char on both sides. Set aside.
- To assemble the loaf, cut it in half horizontally to make one big open sandwich.
- On the bottom layer, put handfuls of lettuce, top with tomato, season with salt. Now, in any order you like, add the rest of your ingredients, layer upon layer on your loaf.
- Mush the avocado and spread on the top half of the loaf and close up.
- Slice big slices through and serve with homemade mayonnaise.
I love the taste of roast Mediterranean vegetables…and mushing it all together with some salad ingredients on a bread? Oh yes!