Haloumi Salad with Fennel, Fresh Peas and Roasted Seeds
Fresh and cool, this is a lovely mid-week dinner for a hot summer’s day!
- Fresh baby spinach (I used baby leaf lettuce too)
- Carrot, thin strips made with veggie peeler
- Fennel bulb, thin strips made with veggie peeler
- Fresh green peas, shelled
- Few tablespoons of seeds (pumpkin + sunflower)
- Toast seeds in a dry hot pan until sizzling and just turning golden. Remove from heat and cool.
- Heat a frying pan till very hot and add strips of haloumi and fry until golden and crisp on both sides. Cool.
- Toss lettuce / baby spinach with carrot and fennel and fresh green beans.
- Dress with the juice of 1 lemon and about twice as much olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Mix dressing through.
- Before serving, sprinkle with toasted seeds and ripped chunks of golden cheese.
I really loved this salad. The pairing of everything just worked brilliantly. I was afraid the fennel with overpower – not so. I was wondering about the fresh shelled peas – yummy! I wasn’t sure about the ribboned carrots – best way to serve fresh carrot! A winner. And how could it not be – coming from celebrated chef, Jamie Oliver? www.jamieoliver.com